View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Jan 24, 2020 at 06:34 PM

bpcyclist I did a Google search of your meds that you list on your profile. Provigil, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Depakote, Restoril all cause insomnia, anxiety, excitability, and agitation as a common side effect. I included links to the side effects for each one below.

So, 5 of your meds for your bipolar disorder could be the cause of your inability to fall asleep because of their insomnia-like side effects on your brain. Do you need all 5? Which ones could you live without taking, that you could taper off of? Is that even an option for you?

If not, then I don't even know if Melatonin or Chamomile tea or Valerian Root tea would help you stay asleep. All 3 will relax you and help you fall asleep but are not designed to keep you asleep. I have used all 3 for my own insomnia bouts, and the Melatonin relaxed me but I still woke up around 4 a.m. when I used it for insomnia.

I don't think you should even try a sleeping pill. Those are dangerous in and of themselves. It sucks that you can't stay asleep. I just wonder if its not all 5 of these meds' common side effects of insomnia and excitability that's causing your insomnia, or at the very least, exacerbate your segmented sleep pattern (if indeed that is what you have from your med school days -- overnight workers become segmented sleepers b/c of the way those hours mess up circadian rhythm).

I think a sleep study could really show insight into what is happening to your brain at night. That may be the only solution, if you can't decrease your medication list down to 2-3.

Provigil

Wellbutrin

Abilify

Depakote

Restoril
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist, Wild Coyote