Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2010
3,133 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 25, 2020 at 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseboi View Post

If you had a string of unhelpful therapists what changed with the one that was helpful?
Did you create a list of needs/wants and see that they fit it based on experiences with past therapists?
Has anyone reached out to an ex-therapist for input for a new therapist? I don't mean having them send notes or whatever. But more like insight on anything they avoided or thought would benefit you? My psychiatrist was trying to help me zero in on traits/characteristics or anything so that maybe she could recommend therapists that she knows.
9+ unhelpful T’s. Current T is focused more on the relationship, has done more higher level trainings that give him a bigger toolbox and is naturally more nurturing.
I made a list of people that I felt had been healing to me over my lifetime and then listed traits of theirs. I used this to find T. The list ended up being totally different than what I had looked for in the past so it was very helpful.
I did get two referrals from a previous T who then became a friend/mentor. The first referral was to a CBT T and that was an OK fit but not great. The second referral was just aweful. I have also gotten referrals from others but that method never worked for me. One T I worked with did make excellent referrals to a massage T and a psychiatrist both of whom I still see.

Wild eyed with fear
-Blackmoores Night
Omers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote