View Single Post
rdgrad15
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
199 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 27, 2020 at 03:45 PM

I wasn’t let go or fired at all recently, but I have heard other people discus how they have been let go and mention how they wish they could just ask for the real reason if the reason they were given seems fishy or doesn’t add up. I totally understand that just about every state, other than Montana I think, is employment at will so they can fire you for any reason or no reason.

But I’ve still wondered if it is okay to ask for a real reason just so you can have peace of mind that either it had nothing to do with you or if it did, then know what you did wrong so you have the ability to prevent that mistake in the future. Do you think it’s okay to ask? I think you can as long as it is professional and there is a desire to learn from it rather than getting angry and lashing out. Lashing out gets you no where which I would never do in that situation.

Have you ever asked an employer for the real reason you were let go if things didn’t add up or seemed sketchy? I was once let go as a sub four years ago after only working there for a month. I have since moved on and have been working at another school district for four years now. Due to previous conversations, it makes me wonder if I could have asked for a reason since the reason they gave me didn’t add up. Most likely they just wanted to get rid of me.

Do you think it’s a good idea or bad idea to ask? I wouldn’t ask them now, it’s been four years, but I was just wondering in the event that I ever found myself in that situation again. Hopefully not, but you never know. When it happened, it was sudden and without warning and I unfortunately had to let some teachers that really liked me know I would not be returning due to personal reasons when they called and asked me to sub on days that other paras would be out, not knowing what had happened. A real shame. So what are your thoughts? Just wondered.
rdgrad15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, bpcyclist