Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
7,354 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 27, 2020 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoretical View Post
I don't know. Normal people seem to care even if they've never experienced a similar situation. And on occasion, them having experienced something similar makes them less caring, not more. You know, the whole "If I got through it, so can you" mentality, especially in regards to something like high school or some sort of training.

Also, those who are abnormal in other aspects are still capable of empathizing with other people. Usually. It isn't like people with anxiety disorders can only care about other highly anxious people.

I seem to be refuting my own hypothesis. But I guess that's the point of discussion, isn't it?

It probably doesn't help that I still don't really understand what empathy is.

Now that’s interesting. I’ve seen the opposite in “normal” people I’ve been around for long. They don’t “care” as much as they say they do. It’s entirely possible that I’m simply not noticing it, however. It’s pretty hard to notice something that I seem to lack within myself in ways that constitute “giving a damn”.

I don’t understand empathy either. I asked someone to explain it to me in depth quite some time ago as she’s well aware of ... me, as it were. It was one of the funniest conversations her and I ever had, my total lack of comprehension was a sight to behold.
Atypical_Disaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote