Legendary

Member Since Sep 2019
40.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 31, 2020 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDancer View Post
Hi bluebicycle. I'm not sure if I ever had RLS, but I've had some doozy periods of akathisia during the years of bipolar treatment. I never recall any jerking movements, and the very worst of my akathisia was more psychological torture more than anything specific to my legs. No itching or burning, that I recall. I do remember in early periods of akathisia wanting to walk around a lot, but at its worst, I actually spent more time in bed rocking from my hip area the most. It would become so torturous that I would even scream, at times. It was horrible! Horrible!

I have taken 40 mg of propranolol for several years (for tachycardia), including the years I suffered most from akathisia. Some say that propranolol can be helpful. If it was helpful, then what would it have been like for me withOUT the propranolol!?!? I was initially also prescribed Cogentin (benztropine) for the akathisia. Cogentin was helpful, but I had to go off of it because it gave me severe constipation. I'm the only person I know who has had that side effect from that medication, so many other people benefit from it greatly. What I ended up using was not ideal. My psychiatrist told me to take Ativan (a benzo). Ativan did help, but it only helped for fewer than 24 hours. I had to take more of it, and more frequently to keep the akathisia at bay. Very often I would wake up in the morning and the akathisia would start torturing me again. I'd take Ativan, but had to wait a good 30 minutes for it to kick in. Eventually, I was weaned off Geodon (that caused it). That was hell, because Geodon withdrawal is not easy! I was taking the Ativan the whole time. Then when I finally got off Geodon, I had to slowly be weaned off Ativan. Another struggle!

I have taken a mini dose of Klonopin for about 11 years now, after taking 2 mg prior to that. Obviously, that dose did nothing to prevent my akathisia. My psychiatrist didn't want to up my Klonopin. I didn't want more. I hate Klonopin! I could live with Ativan. I'm in Klonopin "jail" and perhaps always will be.

I think that there are other helpful medications for akathisia or RLS, not mentioned above. Do talk about this with your doctor.
Klonopin is absolute utter anguish for me.

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341