View Single Post
Job 30 26
Grand Member

Member Since Jan 2020
1,251 hugs
given
Default Jan 31, 2020 at 04:57 PM

Gfofaddict,
You're factually wrong in labeling him a "sex addict" because the that term isn't agreed upon in the DSM 5 or any previous addition of the DSM. Instead of moralizing it--before you shame him--maybe look for the root cause of it. Maybe he experiences hypomania, which means his brain chemistry is tweaked a bit with extra dopamine, or maybe his sexual behavior is a coping mechanism to deal with depression and anxiety. Maybe this has been an acitivity which has been adapted for an entire lifetime and might be a stubborn activity, that is so riddled with knots that it can't be undone, and only severed with by the help of a specialized psychologist to help him understand the naunces of his activity so he can make progress and move on.

I prefer not to deal in matters of psychology morality, but based in science. You came to psychcentral for advice, a psychology based forum, and psychology is based on science, and not an ethics forum. Public shaming is a moral decision and it makes me uncomfortable because I believe in human dignity, what i mean by dignity is our freewill, and our ability to learn and move on, even when a difficult issue is presented that takes time to understand and even more time to move on from.

The reason I suggested the book Sex at Dawn, is because it tells us how preplexing it is to exist in the times we are living. We were meant to see 3 naked sexual partners for our entire life. Technology and the internet have completely changed everything, and out evolutionary psychology of it all has created, at least to my understanding, a mess for men exposed to the technology and the interent. This book takes on the challenge and I hope it would bring a nuanced understanding of the matter.

Why i caution about public shaming is because people are commited suicide over it. Reputation is a social currency that is one of the most basic and primitive tools to function in the world, it's engrained in us, and reputation can be destroyed in minutes when we take into account the internet of things. We are social by nature, and to wreck another human beings social standard publicly, to a person i suppose you love--well the situation seems thorny. So this is why i suggest therapy, and if he wont do therapy then you could break up with him and move on. You could call the cops on him if it is illegal i suppose, but you already seem to know the legality of it all, which sounds like a dead end.

Anyway, I hope you two can fix this situation without anyone committing suicide. Have a nice day.
Job 30 26 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
MuseumGhost