Legendary

Member Since Dec 2014
1,873 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 01, 2020 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMop View Post
I do think in my mind I was overly critical. I never, ever said a word though. I’ve never criticized or given her advice. I don’t state opinions, I don’t argue. That was very nice behavior for a parent.

My counselor thinks that my feelings showed through even though I never said them. What parent doesn’t have feelings about their child if they are not making decisions the parent deems good? Isn’t being a parent guiding your child? Does being a parent stop after they are adults?

He also said that just because she has angry feelings about me not doing what she wanted or helping like she wanted doesn’t mean I have to guilt myself. That was an empowering thing for me to hear. He said her feelings about something don’t mean I have to feel the same way.
I was raised to not look to my parents for financial support once I became an adult. Many parents aren’t even in a position to help with money. Adult children are to become self sufficient. My mother even had to help her parents. I am probably going to have to help mine financially, and have done so in the past.

Thanks for this!
LilyMop