Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 01, 2020 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMop View Post
. . .
Here’s what I’m thinking. I think instead of focusing on my heartbreak and focusing on the relationship I wanted to have with her, I should have focused on accepting reality and just accepting whatever it was she had to offer me, even if it wasn’t how I wanted things to be. People can only give what they have to give and nothing more.

I also think I should have accepted that she made her life choices and it was ok if I didn’t agree. I also should have accepted that my ability to help her, financially or otherwise, was limited. How do you love and care for and give to a person who isn’t really in your life?

I desperately want to accept that I can’t have the relationship with my daughter that I always dreamed of and I desperately want to stop berating myself with guilt.

Am I on the right track? I feel so confused. One minute I’m at peace and the next minute I feel heartbroken and full of guilt all over again.
All we have is today, this moment and what seems the best approach that you can see today.

I feel sure that you made the best decisions you could, for reasons you thought were good, at the time.

It's just a sucky, sad world sometimes. We do the best we can, and if something we are doing now isn't working or doesn't seem so good in the light of a new understanding, then we can change. Seems like that's about all we've got?
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LilyMop