View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Feb 02, 2020 at 05:44 PM

Hello answerseeker: I noticed this is your first post here on PC. Welcome to Psych Central.

You asked if there is anything you can do to help your friend who always uses references to TV shows in her conversations with you. I'm inclined to agree with the other repliers who suggested perhaps your friend may neither need nor want your help. On the other hand, I would have to say what you did, when your friend started talking about characters in her favorite TV show, is certainly one way to respond... or not respond as the case may be.

Whenever your friend begins talking about something related to a TV show, simply don't reply. Proceed with doing something (as you did with finding the movie) or perhaps go on to a different subject. Having you respond to her "TV talk" is reinforcing for her. So not responding, going on to a different subject or proceeding to do something such as select a movie to watch withholds that positive reinforcement. And then, at the same time, of course, you do want to respond positively any time your friend does talk about things that don't relate to her favorite TV programs.

Over time, if you can do these things consistently you may find your friend will talk less about her favorite TV programs & more about other things. My personal opinion would be your friend is unlikely to take kindly to your telling her she needs to talk less about TV programs no matter how gently or kindly you try to put it. Worst case scenario, you may even lose her as a friend in the process.

Having written all of that though, just in case you still want to try to talk with your friend about what she's doing, here are links to 5 articles, from Psych Central's archives, that talk about how to prepare to have difficult conversations. Even if you don't end up talking with your friend about what she's doing, perhaps the information in these articles can be of help to you in other situations you encounter in your life:

5 Ways to Prepare for a Difficult Conversation

5 Tips for Better Conversations With the People You Love

How to Have Difficult Conversations

3 Tips for Better Communication During Difficult Conversations

Uncomfortable Conversations: How to Overcome Awkward Moments | Anger Management

I hope you find PC to be of benefit.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist