Legendary

Member Since Sep 2019
40.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 03, 2020 at 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarBlanche View Post
@bpcyclist You could use a pseudonym, but why should you? You can write about your journey in your prologue and how you came to the decision to be forthright and not hide your identity from your medical colleagues, because this time in your life deeply impacted you, and you hope to inspire others who are on the same journey as they read your memoir.

You can change the names of your colleagues in your memoir to protect yourself legally, or just refer to them in a vague way, not by name. Maybe read some descriptions of these memoirs to help you decide how to proceed on the anonymity front.

Top 10 books about mental hospitals | Books | The Guardian

10 New Books About Mental Illness To Read In 2018

50 Must-Read Memoirs About Mental Illness | Book Riot

These 10 Books Will Transform The Way You Think About Mental Health
Thanks a million for the feedback, Blanche. My inital plan is that HIPPA is respected, except in the rare cases of a few patients whose cases were all up in the news and everyone knows them and their cover was blown long ago by the news. Then everyone else, including a lot of staff, gets a fake name. I will explain this all up front.

A good number of staff people actually knew I was doing this project while I was there and helped me obtain documents and information I never would have had access to otherwise. They all violated their contracts and would be fired, possibly prosecuted in at least one case I cannot go into. Let's just say she saved my ***, big-time. Love that woman. She took a huge, huge risk to protect me.

So, staff get protected.

But I will be totally outted. That does come with some downside, in the social media arena, but I have a strategy to deal with all that. And I am going to tell the publisher up front that there will be no book tour. I'll blame it on my illness--too unstable, blah. Might agree to some very limited number of questions from a couple reporters I do know, like, and trust from old NY days and here. We'll see.

Thank you a thousand times for those links. I have not read all those books, obviously. Of course, since I am in this state, I am well aware of Cuckoo's Nest, which was about and filmed at the actual hosptial I lived at for so long. I'll have to pick a couple of the others and read them.

Hugs from:
Anonymous48672