given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 07, 2020 at 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson View Post
What Is Atypical Depression? | Betterhelp

Here is a quote:

"Mood Reactivity

Mood reactivity means that you react to positive events with positivity, even though you are depressed. While a person with a typical depression continues to feel bad no matter what happens, a person with atypical depression can feel happy when something good happens."

BTW here is an interesting article that covers all the recognized forms of depression, including atypical.

The Different Faces of Depression | Psychology Today.

This is a good explanation. I think I mostly suffer from this atypical, but I've experienced melancholic and I think the anxious one (Anxiety following depression. I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Coyote View Post
It's an interesting topic.

I have had several different pdocs talk about completely different ideas as to what comprises "Atypical Depression," when it was noted in my medical records. I believe it is a term that has become over-used and no longer indicates any specific condition, but many different conditions.

At this university, when someone's diagnosis is noted as "atypical," the question is : What did the prior pdoc mean? Atypical in what way?

I am told by my friend who is a professor of psychiatry here at the medical university: What used to be called "atypical" depressions used to be very severe and are now more commonly now known as "Bipolar Depression."

From what I have read and have been told by practitioners (pdocs), the rapid changes in mood, as in changes within any given day, are characteristic of BPD.

So many different sources have different ideas/info in this topic.

This is confusing! I tested for bpd (or I was supposed to have) but did not get diagnosed. And as stated above, my depression appears atypical so therfore i have bipolar? I mean, maybe i do (unspecified was my dx). I feel like i have experienced mixed states, but I thi k that was when I was experimenti g with meds as it seems to have gone ( I thi k??)
giddykitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Sunflower123