View Single Post
nonightowl
Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
6,865 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Unhappy Feb 08, 2020 at 02:51 PM

Like others say, there is no time frame. And the 5 stages are not linear, which I think most people believe.... You can go through the stages in any order, during the course of one day or even within one HOUR.

Or someone can say something that brings it all back, or you see something/someone that reminds you of the person or people you lost.

I've lost a lot of people in just a few years, and I still grieve my aunt I lost in 2002. To me, grief doesn't go away or I don't "get over it". It just gets less raw or painful as time goes by. Time is the key...LOTS of it for me. Not months but years and years.

But each person is different too. And some people cry, some don't. I tell myself daily there's no "right" way to feel and it's okay if I don't feel anything at all. And that I'm not crazy.

I'd be there for your friend, but avoid platitudes like "You'll get over this" or "You seem stronger today" or "You're strong and this will make you stronger". Comments like that are minimizing what someone is going through. I think American culture has a denial about death, and people just want one to "get over it".

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
CANDC, lizardlady

Thanks for this!
CANDC, lizardlady