Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 09, 2020 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Coyote View Post
Hi BethRags,

I am sorry you have had a childhood of emotional chaos due to your mom's illness. It had to be so very difficult. I had an MI/alcoholic parent and it was so heart-wrenching. We want to help them and also feel a need to protect ourselves, etc. I am sure you have done a lot of work to put things into perspective to heal, to overcome and to go on to have a healthier life for yourself. While my heart goes out to you, especially to young BethRags, I also want to congratulate you.

Thank you, WC You are so kind. I am also sorry that you also went through a painful childhood - and have clearly worked through painful issues, broken cycles.

My step-father was a mentally ill alcoholic, abusive in every way...ugh. Not a spectacular childhood. But yes, I am finally working on these things with a talented therapist.

As you mentioned, so much of the healing we have to do (if we choose to) is knowing when to give and when to stop giving.

I wish I would have learned about healthy boundaries earlier in life. But, better late than never.

You make some interesting points. I hope to read the link you have noted.

Yes, the article is informative, but I also want to encourage the show Cashart suggested. It covers BP in a way that isn't heavy or triggering, but they definitely get the point across.

I agree there will likely be more subcategories for BP in the DSM in the future.

Yes. I wonder when the DSM6 is released?

I also feel there will be more information concerning BPD also being on a "spectrum.' While many may have a BPD trait(s), they may not have full-blown BPD. I also feel we will see a change in the name of what is now referred to as BPD.

I am all for a movement to change the name and to educate people in order to reduce the stigma associated with BPD.

So am I! I feel so very bad for those who are stigmatized by the BPD label. I've read some blog posts that suggest renaming BPD "Emotional Regulation Disorder" or something similar.

I feel bad and kind of wince when I tell therapists that my mom had BPD. The reaction is almost always, "Ooooohhh..." Such stigma! Understandable in certain ways - but my mom (and others with BPD) almost always have a very sensitive, gentle and deeply loving side, too.

Thanks for your informative post.
Aw, you are so welcome
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
Wild Coyote