View Single Post
partyofone

Member Since Aug 2019
3 hugs
given
Default Feb 10, 2020 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceara1010 View Post
I've got abusers in my life who keep insisting that their felony level abuse of me is therapy. Because I won't embrace their abuse as "help" they insist I just like to stir up trouble because I get bored. Because I acknowledge the truth about them they say I'm just paranoid. These criminals have doctorates and they think this places them above reproach and the law. But it doesn't.

It's common for abusers to try to normalize their crimes. Does anyone else here in an abusive situation have abusers who try to insist their crimes are normal behavior?
Yes indeed, Ceara. That sounds very familiar!

I've not heard the specific claim that it's all 'therapy', but I have heard abusers either normalize or downplay both physical and emotional harm. You know that it's a way they can also argue to themselves that they're innocent, while they're trying to get you to buy that as well.

The more they minimize, the more they're able to discount any other times you bring up the abuse, and the more they can self-righteously argue that you're being an awful unforgiving person for continuing to be offended and to blame them.

The doctorate part's pretty familiar too. You know, they may not hand those things out to just anyone, but about 4.5 million people do. Like any other huge group, we can't think that they're all angels, can we?

Please take care of yourself. The abusers won't.

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
Ceara1010