View Single Post
Nerevar

Member Since Feb 2020
3 hugs
given
Default Feb 10, 2020 at 10:08 PM

The thing is, it's been helpful when I was a teenager to read about Asperger syndrome and other things. I surely have some autistic traits, a somewhat autistic way of thinking to some extent, too. But given what I've read, I don't think that's really that when I try to understand my general (and mental) functioning.
Concerning IQ, I think that indeed cognitive capacities and intelligence can compensate - but also hide - some things. It's both a blessing (in so far as it permits to function much better in society, I guess) and a curse. It can indeed be negative in so far as some things get more insidious when they are hidden, or when one is too proud of your intelligence - and too ashamed - to admit that he needs help about some facets of his own functioning; for compensation is not the same as resolution and is neither an exact synonym of alleviation.
As you imagine, I speak of myself in the last paragraph... But I'm unsure about seeing a therapist. And actually I don't think I'd be able to speak frankly about some aspects I've tackled here (the very peculiar rituals and ideations) to one. The last time I did sessions with a psy, I did not really confide much in her.
Nerevar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote