Thread: Powerlessness
View Single Post
feb2020user
Account Suspended

Member Since Feb 2020
5 hugs
given
Default Feb 11, 2020 at 08:23 AM

"It isn't necessarily that you seek power, though, but rather that your methods of seeking power are maladaptive. You try to cope with your feelings of powerlessness by rejecting an identity and devaluing larger goals. How do you suppose that'll lead to a happy or fulfilling life? Or lead to you obtaining power?

Instead, it leads to self-doubt"

I don't think self-doubt is the right word. I'd have to have a self to doubt for that, and I don't feel like I do. I think it would be more accurate to call it self-rejection, but I'm not sure if that's really what it is, either. I'm not seeking a happy or fulfilling life, just more control over my mind. Rejecting an identity prevents me from "having to" act in any specific way across the board, which makes me more adaptable to achieve whatever wants I have. But maybe that sort of kaleidoscope identity is still technically an identity.

"You're not broken. More than likely, you'll always have a desire for power, but it isn't wrong to desire power. It's how you go about it. As you become aware of the desires which drive your behavior, you gain more control over your own actions and even your own thought processes.

Firstly, what's currently making you feel powerless?

Secondly, why is accepting powerlessness a remedy?"

Well, that's just it. There's not really a rational reason for me to feel powerless. I don't necessarily have a desire for power as much as I feel the constant need to diminish my omnipresent feelings of powerlessness. Desiring power isn't really the issue, as you say, it's the constant feeling of lack that can make me easily irritated by minor inconveniences. I have to accept what I can't control, genuinely accept it, in order to focus on what I can. There's a point where being a control freak is self-destructive, and I pass that point too often.

And you're right. At the end of the day, I don't think that will magically make all of my symptoms go away or erase my antisocial impulses or philosophy. I do think that it will make it more manageable and, ironically, lead to more control over my life in general.
feb2020user is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote