Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jun 2016
8,801 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 14, 2020 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtleyWilkins View Post
Question: Are you actually overweight? Does your BMI show you as overweight?

I ask because you seem pretty preoccupied with your weight.

You might try not stepping on the scale except once a week. Weight can vary from day to day, even from morning to evening, so weighing every day can actually cause issues because you aren't seeing a longer term change.

Continue to eat healthily. If you are on a med that is prone to causing weight gain, just be consistent with your intake and keep up some reasonable exercise if for no other reason but to keep your metabolism active. If over time you start seeing weight gain despite being consistent about your diet and exercise, then talk to your doctor about the medications you are on. It is not unusual for certain meds to just be prone to weight gain: I had to stop one particular med because I gain 15 pounds in about two weeks. My pdoc was quite willing to change to something more weight neutral.

If you aren't actually overweight statistically, have you discussed the possibility of body dysmorphia or an eating disorder with a therapist?
I’m about 23 pounds overweight. I just got off a med last night that caused me to gain about 16 pounds. My therapist has talked about me having an eating disorder before but she’s also been full of herself before too.