Thread: Daddy issues
View Single Post
Anonymous43089

Default Feb 17, 2020 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Still View Post
I’m wondering if you have forgiven your dad about how he mistreated you when you were younger?
I'm not really sure "forgive" is the correct word. More like it doesn't really bother me. Actually, it's only occurred to me within the past few years that his behavior and my reactions to it were abnormal.

Also what conclusion have you come to in regards to his temper that you experienced as a child?

I've begun to realize that some of my learned behavior may be hang-ups from early childhood experiences. As an example, I keep the vast majority of my opinions to myself, and though I have no anxieties in expressing my opinion, it doesn't come naturally to me. I have to remind myself to speak up in most situations. And I think that's mostly the result of my dad losing his **** over some seemingly innocuous thing I said, or just because I was being loud. Consequently, I learned not to express my true thoughts and to stay quiet.

Also, this isn't an introvert thing, as I'm fairly extroverted.

Is it something that still makes you teary eyed or bitter when you think about it?

No, I think certain emotional deficits may have protected me from any lasting trauma. Nonetheless, I have a lot of learned behavior that needs undoing.

He may be a different man now, or maybe he isn’t far off from who he used to be. Either way, it looks like his intentions are to rebuild a relationship with you.

He still has the occasional temper tantrum, though not so much directed at me, and I actually think he's getting worse in the narcissism department. Or maybe he was always this bad, and I simply didn't realize it when I was younger.

I'm not trying to hold a charge sheet against him. That would imply effort. I just don't want to build a relationship with him, as that would also require effort. To be rudely blunt, I don't value him enough to put in the effort, especially not when he hasn't put in any effort to better himself.

It's the sense of entitlement that angers me. Moreover, he still seems to think of me as a trophy of sorts, which triggers my antisocial habits something fierce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill3 View Post
Forgiveness is a goal that can take some time to achieve. If you are just now discovering new ****** about your childhood you might find that newly discovered wounds can take longer to forgive.
Forgiveness is one of those things I'm not even quite sure I'm capable of fully understanding, not on the deeper emotional levels of letting go resentment and the like.

I've been down the path of uncovering repressed emotions quite a few times, occasionally with therapists guiding the way, and I've always come up empty handed. Either my emotional landscape is a barren wasteland, or my defense mechanisms are so heavily fortified that no mortal could reach those juicy traumas. Either way, I don't think it's going to do me any good to try to let go of resentment over past actions, as I don't really feel it. All irritation I have now seems to be over current behavior; that is - his attempts to build a relationship with me while other family members pressure me to go along, and also him treating me like a trophy.

If that makes any sense at all.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Be Still, Bill3

Thanks for this!
Be Still, Bill3