Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 18, 2020 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSweden View Post
. . .I think she sees herself as someone "being there" for me and that "having someone" will make me change the situation I´m in. That can be true but only to a limited extent as my issues stem partly from childhood and my way of reacting and relating to other people keeps repeating itself. By that, it´s not enough to just find a job in a different setting or similar.

I´m very ambivalent to it all as I don´t want to just end it with her but our contact also brings the same concerns over and over again.
. . .
Having my support group "be there" for me has been a big help as I deal internally, and mostly by myself, with internal stuff and anxiety and depression that go along with it sometimes.

I know that having just one person being there isn't the same but, for me, having trained therapists, the last with excellent credentials, didn't help me resolve my issues much. It did help me find, or rather throw me back into, some of the causes of some of my problems, maybe. But resolve them and move forward, no.

I would have been very much worse off after my last therapist terminated me, if I hadn't had that group.

I think you said that your counselor said that she thought you had good insight into your problems ? I have found that knowing my support group people are there for me, and care about me helps relieve and depression so that I can sometimes make better progress at resolving the other things on my own.

There are people on this forum in therapy with psychodynamic T's who have reported ambivalence, too. I never had a lot of that -- my pattern was perhaps too determined -- but it doesn't seem to be that unusual.
I can understand how frustrating the situation is for you. Frustration like you have talked about is NOT pleasant. Wanting to avoid that kind of unpleasant feeling is natural. Hopefully it will get better with time?
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*