View Single Post
EFont

Member Since Jan 2020
9 hugs
given
Default Feb 19, 2020 at 07:10 PM

You’re good! Looking for a job can definitely be a stressful experience. There are a lot of ups and downs to deal with- hope contrasted with feelings of possible rejection, plus anxiety over uncertainty. I understand. I'm sorry for the delay in response myself- I haven’t been in the best place for the past several days either; sometimes when I get overwhelmed by life my emotions retreat. Then I feel empty and I just go through the motions. Or I take lots of naps and avoid doing anything, lol. Can I ask how the job search has been going?

Regarding the personality stuff, there is a lot of info on it (so much!), but I can give kinda a brief overview of what I’ve learned about it. There are 16 basic options in the main framework of MBTI, shown by 4-letter “codes.” The letters are determined by choosing between Introversion (I) vs Extroversion (E), then Sensing (S) vs Intuition (N), Thinking (T) vs Feeling (F), and lastly Judging (J) vs Perceiving (P). An example of what a code result looks like could be ESTJ, INFP, ESFP, etc.

To decide between letters, many people take the free online quizzes. Those are really easy to mess with to get a desired result, though, so they’re pretty unreliable, although they can help a little at the beginning. I thought the system was pretty meh until I looked into the deeper explanations of what things were. People say MBTI isn't a science, and they’re absolutely right (notably, I’ve never seen anyone actually claim it is)! However, I’ve found it to be a very useful basic categorization system that makes it easier to talk about common traits.

Essentially, while each option is a spectrum, it is based on which you are closer to. If in the middle, the letter is X, to show as unchosen.

Very brief explanations-
Introversion: You gain energy and “recharge” primarily from being alone
Extroversion: You gain energy and “recharge” primarily from being with other people

Sensing: Tend to be realistic, practical, grounded, “common sense,” often skilled in working with their hands and/or in the arts
Intuitive: Tend to be dreamy, think about possibilities, big-picture oriented, more likely to deeply mull over theories and ideas

Thinking: Tend to be more objective overall, and make decisions based primarily on logical analysis
Feeling: Tend to be more sensitive and subjective overall, and make decisions primarily based on personal values

Judging: More organized and prepared, stick to schedules, tend to naturally follow most rules
Perceiving: Can be spontaneous, more open-minded, more flexible with plans, tend to question rules if they contrast with what they want to do

Does that make sense? There are always exceptions and nuances, though, and that’s what makes it interesting. I won’t delve too deeply into cognitive function stacks (which are kind of an offshoot of MBTI) because I enjoy discussing this too much and I don’t want to go on way too long. I may PM you with a little bit of info on it to see if you find it interesting. Okay, personality rant over! I'm sorry it was long- I hope that was okay.

You mentioned that you’re thinking about finding a therapist to talk to- I think that’s a great idea! I know it’s really scary to start off with, but I’ve found that it really helps me to be able to talk things out with someone who is understanding and listens without judgement. And depending on their qualifications, they might be able to give you professional recommendations about whether they think medication is an option and what the side effects may be if you choose that. You could definitely talk about your dependency and side-effect concerns with them. But they have lots of talk-based things they can do regardless of whether they decide medication is not a good fit or if you decide you aren’t comfortable with it. As you said, having someone to talk to likely wouldn’t hurt
EFont is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Imlost1721