Legendary

Member Since Sep 2019
40.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 22, 2020 at 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDancer View Post
hartbroken, I think it's wrong for your doctor to casually brush off your concerns. You know, I kind of wonder if your doctor's response would have been different if you were a female and not a male? I remember once mentioning hypersexual behavior to my male psychiatrist and he made a big deal about it, sternly and loudly saying "WATCH IT!" I often wonder if one of his male patients would have received such a strong warning. But the fact, in my book, is that there should be no difference.

I think that any symptom that can cause distress must be taken seriously. I'm not sure how you can get that through to your doc, but he really should pay more attention.

My past hypomanias and full blown manias did not always include hypersexuality. Sometimes that category of symptom showed itself in other ways. Some people hyperspend or gamble. Others sleep around in a disinhibited way. Some take on other dangerous pursuits. Maybe some might result in getting arrested by cops, but those are not so very different than wanting sex 24/7 and being disinhibited or impulsive enough to seek it from others they shouldn't seek it from.

I've got great respect for you for wanting to address this issue. Your insight into it as a problem is also admirable.
The point about the differential treatment of women is so true, BirdDancer. Thank you for pointing it out!!!!

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341