Wild Coyote
Legendary
Community Liaison

Member Since Jun 2016
70.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Feb 23, 2020 at 07:50 AM

Hi Fuzzy and Friends! Great idea for this thread, Fuzzy!

One of the practices I use : breathing exercises. Another is grounding myself.

It's very easy to start following your breath. Thich Nhat Hanh teaches a very simple method:

On the inhale, think or say: Breathing in, I know I'm breathing in.
On the exhale, think or say: Breathing out, I know I'm breathing out.
Continue this pattern.
This should bring you into the Present Moment.

One of the Buddhist "secrets" to meditating: Choose an area on the top area of your head. Place your attention on that spot and in between the brain/tissue and the skull.
Then utilize any type of meditating practice/exercise you wish to use. Maintain your focus upon the spot you have identified. *

I highly suggest Placing your attention on the spot you've chosen on your head/skull.
Engage in the simple breathing practice mentioned above.

*The most frequent error when choosing and focusing upon the spot you have chosen (on the top of the head): Some people will roll their eyes upward while focusing upon the identified spot. It is as if they think they need to "see" the spot chosen in order to focus their attention there. Place your attention/focus on the chosen spot while continuing with both eyes gazing elsewhere and/or close your eyes if it is easier.

In time, and with practice, one will be able to maintain his/her attention on the spot, will breath consciously, while going through the day. This will require finding the perfect intensity of focus, depth and rate of breathing in order to go through your day in a meditative to a somewhat meditative state.

Initially, simply practice the method outlined at the beginning of this post.

I hope this method proves helpful to someone.

Note: I find this a very easy practice to initiate at any time. I have started this practice when in stressful situations. With practice, this method can be used in any setting without others noticing.

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
BastetsMuse, bpcyclist, Fuzzybear