View Single Post
Kathleen83

Member Since Nov 2011
96 hugs
given
Default Feb 24, 2020 at 10:23 AM

I used to take xanax for the panic attacks - until a different GP put me on Citalopram. Her thought was, the xanax helped calm the panic attack down, the citalopram would help prevent it. I'm sure I explained that poorly - but - that's the general gist of it. It worked. No more panic attacks. No more anxiety attacks, either. Phobias - the only thing that helped with that was going thru the gut wrenching fear of facing them - sort of exposure therapy. Had someone I really trusted by my side the entire time I went thru that process, which helped. I'd usually fail when I started, but kept facing those demons down until I could overcome. EMDR therapy helped me some with the CPTSD....until therapist stopped that, because of dissociation. Now I'm in DBT, and it's helping some. So to get back to your question of does anyone else feel like you are, yes. I do. My triggers and reactions protected me for a very long time, in very bad situations. I have to fight the thought that if I keep doing therapy and meds, it will somehow all "go away", and THEN how will I protect myself? The counter argument I use is, it's not GOING to go away, doesn't NEED to. The strengths and abilities I have because of the CPTSD are still going to be there. Then meds and therapy are just to help me from over-reacting when a situation doesn't warrant such a response. To give me even MORE tools to deal with situations. Yay, you, for the incredible insight into yourself, connecting the dots!

Dissociation

Kathleen83 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote