88Butterfly88
Community Support Team

88Butterfly88 is fluttering by

8 yr Member
10.5k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 25, 2020 at 05:13 PM

I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS under the old DSM; now they call it autism spectrum disorder. I also have PTSD, which is unrelated, so this has made my life more difficult. However, I did manage to get a Bachelor's Degree and graduate with honors with the help of some disability accommodations provided through my college. I'm 26, and nowadays, I do volunteer work from home. I have trouble being out in public because PTSD makes me very hypervigilant, but as I said, this is unrelated to my autism. I'm hoping to work from home for pay eventually. It's just hard to get hired as an autistic person. For me, medications and cognitive behavioral therapy have helped me manage some of my autism symptoms. I also have a mentor through my state's disability services, which has been helpful. My family has also always believed in me, so having good social support was a plus. I also have a decent amount of friends now, which is great since a lot of autistic people have trouble in social situations. Some people may consider me a failure since I'm not employed for pay, but I am happy more and more often, so I consider it a success. Success looks different for different people anyway.
88Butterfly88 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated, RoxanneToto, zapatoes

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated