View Single Post
Patagonia
Grand Magnate

Member Since Sep 2013
77 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 28, 2020 at 10:10 AM

Has anyone had any luck with mediation for child custody?
I feel like the mediation I did for custody this past fall was kind of substandard.
We went 3 times each session lasting 3 hrs trying to come up with a parental plan.

The first session my X said he thought the court approved time of two nites a week was disruptive & wouldn’t agree to it. So we wasted 3 hrs arguing over it as our mediator just sat there repeating what was said to each other.
It took forever to get the entire process done & it was expensive. I feel like I gave up on a few important things just so we could finish.

Afterwards when I spoke to my attorney she said if he wouldn’t agree to the 2 nites he’d be in contempt of court anyway & the judge already signed the agreement. Our job was to figure out the other stuff.

Why didn’t our mediator know this? I don’t think she had any legal background but I do know she works as a therapist.
I just felt like it would’ve gone better if someone was able to to help us & not just sit there.

6 months later, the divorce is not near being over & we’re having custody issues. I’d like to go back to mediations but now I’m hesitant.
Any advice?
Thanks