View Single Post
rsiberk

Member Since Aug 2019
Default Feb 28, 2020 at 07:44 PM

I'm sorry you are feeling scared. Graduating from high school and moving onto the next step in your life can be daunting. What is so great is that you are ALREADY doing something you are passionate about! That's AMAZING! Embrace that!

I was always very entrepreneurial starting in junior high school. I am ADD and if I hadn't gone to an alternative high school that let me do a lot of independent study, I probably wouldn't have even graduated! Then I went to art school, graduated, and worked at an ad agency job then went freelance then started my own design business and have never looked back. In art school, it not only helped me grow as an artist, but I saw how people made a living which helped me get my first job as a foot in the door, but then, also the courage to start my own business.

College is not for everyone, and it sounds like maybe that applies to you. Have you thought about culinary school? Would your mom pay for that? And have you researched the different ways people make successful careers as bakers, and how to open a bakery?

I'd suggest that you do some research, talk to some local bakers/pastry chefs and write a letter to your mom explaining how much baking means to you, that this is where your passion lies, the fact that you are already doing it, and how you would like to go about becoming a baker. Imagine you are writing an essay like you would write to the admissions people at a college. Sell yourself to her! This is your unique strength. Tell her how other people have made a living as bakers. Be true to yourself and let your passion come out to your mom.

You are at a crossroads, at the beginning of your adult life. It IS scary but it's also very exciting, and you already are doing what you love. Follow your heart. Ask your mom if she can help you follow your heart. If she can't or won't, arm yourself with knowledge about the baking field and see if you can put yourself through culinary school, or apprentice somewhere on your own.

Best of luck on your journey!
rsiberk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
princesscookie19