View Single Post
sunrise
Legendary

Member Since Jan 2007
106 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 12, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Mouse, that is a really interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Maybe some of those Ts with the home offices might do better in a regular office away from home--seems like it would alleviate some of the children's anxiety and help keep a stronger boundary between work and family. Is that common to have a home office? The four Ts I or my family have been involved with have all had offices away from the home.

There seems something really invasive or incestuous about a T analyzing his own child. Aaaccckk! Often a person's problems stem from their relationships with their parents, so how could a child or teen sit there and tell his therapist-mom about how his problems stem from mom?

</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
It is harder to be a good parent than to be a good therapist

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">I like that.

</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
There is a common social belief that somehow if she's a therapist, she should be able to get her own life in order.

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">That reminds me of what a blow to me it was when I discovered my T, a family and couples therapist, was divorced. It really made me feel hopeless, like if he can't get it right, it's truly impossible to have a lasting relationship for someone as screwed up as me. (He quickly dissuaded me of that idea.) They do have a lot to live up to in their clients' minds.

I recently finished a book by a therapist whose own marriage failed partly because he put too much energy into his clients and didn't save enough for home life. All day he would see clients and be fully there, attentive, empathetic, etc. When he got home from work, he just couldn't bring himself to "be there" for his wife because he was so exhausted. They ended up separating.