Member Since May 2014
8,141 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 01, 2020 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfinger View Post
Hi, I wasn't sure of starting this thread here or at the Psychotherapy forum

What do you think about your T's body language? I didn't know that this was a thing until recently. A different T, that I was seeing for a time, told me about it

Last session, mine seemed a little impatient. She was sitting on a desk in front of me with arms crossed, her legs also crossed and her feet pointing away from me. When I was reading something to her, I looked at the ground. She was rocking her foot back and forward, as in "I can't wait for him to finish". I was talking and she cracked her fingers. I don't remember what I was telling her at that moment. I noticed and she, after that, caressed her fingers without cracking them. Also, she brushed her hair with her fingers. She usually does this 2 or 3 per session, but on this one, she was doing it more frequently.

I was googling up every gesture. To sum it up, all are negative gestures. I know that they can't be taken in a isolate way. There seems to be a cluster of them, from my point of view, at least.

I don't know what to think about it. Maybe she just had a long bad day. Maybe she finds to be a drag seeing me so late and wants to go home. Or she got tired of me. Especially, knowing how I feel about her. I'm not sleeping so well and I get tired after work, but I make an extra effort to attend my sessions. Maybe I'm just tired and looking too much into things.

Could she got tired of me? Maybe I should ask her what is happening? There are some days when I feel this " weird vibe" from her. I don't how to put it in words
Can you ask her about it? Is it possible you are misinterpreting cues and body language?

It happens. When I first started seeing T, I asked her a question and her hand went to her throat. I told myself, ‘See, this is what happens. I’m *too much* for her....’

The subject came up sessions later and she explained she was just *thinking* how to answer me. After a few other similar situations I realized I stink at reading other people’s body language or at guessing what they are thinking.
I assume I know what it is...or what it means. I’m wrong a lot.

Please ask your T about her gestures, etc. Let her know what you are seeing and what you fear they mean. She might not even be aware of them.
precaryous is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, SlumberKitty