View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 02, 2020 at 08:46 PM

Hope it's OK to continue on this thread. So I saw a backup T, A, while my regular T was away last week. She wiped away a few tears while I was talking, even grabbing a tissue at one point to wipe her eye.

I saw my regular T ("Dr. T") today. When we were talking about stuff regarding my D in the first part of session, I saw him wipe away another tear. When we got to the topic of backup T, I mentioned her tearing up, joking how maybe I should get bonus points because I made a T cry the first time I saw her. Dr. T said that apparently some things I said touched her. Then I said, rather offhandedly, "I think I've seen you wipe away a few tears before, too, which is OK. Though I may have been mistaken." Dr. T said, "Well, I feel bad when your fantasy football team loses." Which, obviously he was joking, but he also didn't deny it like I thought he would. I kind of expected him to say, "I must have had something in my eye" or "My eyes have been bothering me lately" or something. I forget what I said to that, maybe, "I appreciate the empathy" or something, but then I moved on to another topic.

There is part of me that wants to discuss it more, but I'm not sure if it could just make things awkward. Maybe I should just let it go and accept his comment as sort of acknowledging it (because he didn't deny it), but not wanting to talk about it? And maybe taking his saying that what I said I must have touched backup T suggests that things I've said to him have touched him as well?

I originally was going to include this whole explanation of why he might identify with what I deal with regarding my daughter--she's on the autism spectrum, and I have reason to believe, from what my ex-T said and other stuff, that Dr. T's son may be on the spectrum as well, or at least have some other sort of learning or developmental challenge. But it was really rambling. I think it just has meaning to me if it affects him, but I also understand why he may not want to talk about why he's affected by some of what I share. Because it could also just be that he's reacting as a fellow parent, fearing something could be going on with your child. Anyway...part of why I'm uncertain about asking more about the tears is that I don't want to seem I'm questioning him more about that. I more just want to be like, "The tears are OK, it's touching to me that you're affected, and you don't need to either hide or explain them." But I don't know if even saying that would be weird?
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote