View Single Post
divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,277 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 03, 2020 at 07:28 PM

Sometimes we just have to accept that our kids are their own people. Their choices in life might differ from ours and they might in fact change as they grow up.

Yes they might become influenced by their partners. Our kids aren’t an extension of us. It doesn’t matter that you might be conservative. He isn’t you.

My parents are very conservative and I am not. And my daughter is even less conservative. But then she is way more religiously observant than me. Go figure. My husband is conservative, and his kids aren’t, heck I am not. We can’t be all the same. We make do being different.

That’s just how it is. I know it sounds extreme and isn’t always desirable but people are supposed to make their spouses their priority. They have to “leave home” and join their spouses so to speak.

Also relationship with kids change over time. Especially sons. I know my nephew doesn’t call my brother as often as my daughter calls me. He is a guy and sometimes it’s just how it is. I know my brother and sister in law are hurt at times that my nephew spends more time with his in laws. But is it worth it to ruin the family and make a spectacle over it?

I am sure your son loves you and is hurt and I am sure you are a good parent. But you can’t make him be who he is not. He isn’t going to lead the life you want him to lead. He won’t go to schools of your choice or buy things of your choice or marry a girl you like or conduct wedding the way you like. Just isn’t happening. He’ll choose his wife and will do what works for his marriage because that’s what spouses do. That’s just how it is
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote