View Single Post
alwayswhy

Member Since Feb 2020
Default Mar 04, 2020 at 09:02 AM

I also hit myself in the head. HARD. Brutally hard. Started in my mid teens I think. Been doing it for decades (yes, decades). To any younger people reading this, you may want to get some help with this. No, I don't mean to tell you what to do because I hate it when people tell me what to do. But I have severe headaches daily. I have tinnitus. I almost always do this to the right side of my head (I'm right handed) and my right eye has had several problems over the last 10 years or so: detached retina, vein occlusion, etc.

I'm seeing a therapist now that is actually addressing this. I should say "trying" to address this - I'm a difficult patient . My previous 3 therapists, when I would hit myself IN SESSION, either ignored it (yep, completely ignored the violence right in front of them) or simply said "hey, cut it out". At the recommendation of my current therapist I'm going to get some brain scans to see what the damage might be. I just want to know. The scans are by no means a treatment but purely informational.

The common, simple DBT-type distress tolerance skills like snapping a rubber band or holding an ice cube simply don't work for me. I'm sorry but the avalanche of emotion can't be held back by a rubber band or an ice cube. It's like trying to hold back the ocean with a broom.

Yeah, this is fun.
alwayswhy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty