View Single Post
StupidityTries

Member Since Mar 2020
5 hugs
given
Default Mar 06, 2020 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaVicar? View Post
Nicole is right, your therapist shouldn't be making demands or even giving you advice really. The whole point of therapy is to encourage you to develop your own autonomy and make your own decisions. Perhaps group therapy and individual therapy are conflicting each other and your healing... i.e. if one was CBT and the other was an analytical depth type therapy, but ultimately it's your decision.

She sounds a bit defensive and wrapped up in the transference. Does she have supervision? What type of therapy does she practice? Generally speaking, a therapist isn't going to admit to erotic countertransference feelings but she should be open to discussing your concerns around it. So you're having sadomasochistic fantasies about her and the relationship? This is perfectly normal, especially given the power differential within the relationship. This is something you probably should discuss with her, especially if it's a typical relationship pattern/fantasy. Maybe you could start documenting her responses, so you have a record for yourself.
Both the individual and group therapies are psychodynamic. My therapist gives a TON of advice. Some sessions sound like lectures. The problems in our alliance started to crop up when I pointed out what I perceived to be countertransference. Example: I had a long, strange business trip to San Diego that included a theft of my hotel room. In recounting just how bizarre the whole experience was, I brought up an incident where a young woman tried very aggressively to pick me up. It seemed very relevant to me because I wondered if that incident and the theft might be related. My T got an angry look on her face and interjected “why are you telling me this?” When I pointed out in a later session that this seemed like countertransference to me, she said she didn’t remember saying it. It was shortly thereafter that she started to blame my group therapist for the recent friction in our relationship.
StupidityTries is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote