View Single Post
Bookworm257

Member Since Jun 2017
16 hugs
given
Unhappy Mar 10, 2020 at 11:37 AM

I have problems with taking things personally. I know most people take things personally (I read an article about how it's a survival mechanism), but for it's much more intense.

I have recently turned 18 and up until a few months ago I could not handle any criticism whasoever. I can handle it if we're doing peer reviews in writing class, becuase of the context of the situation. But in all other circumstnaces I either get defensive, or I silently crumble and implode.

Up until I was like 15 or 16 I would start crying and go into an emotional meltdown over my dad telling me I'm not doing a chore the correct way or something else wrong. Inside, I would take it as evidence that I was a worthless human being, that I was stupid or half-developed. Now that I am a bit older I understand he was merely trying to help me do the chore faster and better, and that he was porbably just trying to teach me how to do things, but it took me only up until recently to begin to realize this, and when someone points out a mistake I still might get a little defensive, or silently believe I am stupid and can't do anything right. Keep in mind, I am 18 and only recently have I begun to realize how sensitive I was being, and still am.

Whenever I hear my parents talking in the other room, I will sometimes mute the tv for a few secs to make sure they aren't talking about me. I know it's wrong to eavesdrop but that's how bad my problem is.

Whenever I walk by a group of people I don't know and they're laughing, they must be laughing at me; maybe I'm walking funny or my outfit looks stupid or they just don't like me.

I have never been abused, and I do not understand where this problem comes from. The only trauma or event I can think of is my mom was a drug addict and bipolar, but I have not seen her since I was 5 y/o. My dad is a great person and he took me away from that situation and raised me pretty much on his own.

Anyone else deal with these issues? Anyone else this sensitive? Anyone else take the smallest mistakes they make as evidence that they are inferior, stupid, or annoying?
Bookworm257 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
AzulOscuro, Bill3, Christmas cookie, MickeyCheeky, MsLady, Open Eyes

Thanks for this!
Bill3, Christmas cookie, MickeyCheeky