~Christina
Legendary Wise Elder
Community Liaison

Member Since Jul 2011
12.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 11, 2020 at 01:06 AM

Open Eyes you bring up a very important topic.

I personally hate the knee jerk reaction of oh if your spouse, Bf, Gf, SO, etc has a drinking or a drug problem "leave them immediately"

People make mistakes... every single person makes mistakes and poor choices. That does not mean they can not get there self together and have a better life and relationships..

A person can support a partner or a friends fight to get sober and lots of people can beat the addiction . Maybe person A will give a person 1 chance. another person might give them 10

Neither people is right or wrong... Its a decision that has so many factors involved.

My aunt was a single Mom, She eventually married a nice guy he had been sober 12+ years, He got hurt at work, had surgery, total knee replacement, He couldnt work he was a construction forman, Well he fell into a bottle, My aunt begged and pleaded to get help, one night he was in a blinding drunk rage and he became violent, I wont share details, she fled to our house.... he called her begging. she though about it for a week. She gave him one chance.. He went to a meeting a day for a year. Hes been sober 25 years.

People say leave leave leave .... But what if its your child with a drug or alcohol problem?Should parents just totally give up and throw there child out of the house? of course not as a parent your going to fight like hell to help your child... Yes maybe a point will come that you have to cut off the relationship, but so much factors into it.

People stay in relationships with people for a wide variety of reason.. A blanket " leave them they will never change" is just not reality.

Theres some people that has zero desire to even try to get sober.. But that doesnt mean there partner is stupid for staying for however long it takes for them to decide to leave.. maybe they never leave..

I think people in general need to breathe and think before responding to someone online or in person that is an alcoholic or is with an alcoholic or any substance abuse. .

I think its a process for someone in a relationship to decide that enough is enough might take a week or 10 years.. Who are we to judge?

Here on PC we often get members that are in relationships with alcoholic's sure some are being abused... I feel sometimes people react very strongly because they were once in a situation similar or maybe they have a substance abuse problem themselves.... But if a person is in a abusive relationship sure they need honest advice but they are already being abused some kindness goes a long way.

All anyone can do is offer advice and support online or in person..

Elephants come in all shapes , sizes and colors

Last edited by ~Christina; Mar 11, 2020 at 02:40 AM..
~Christina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Bill3, Discombobulated, Fuzzybear, Open Eyes

Thanks for this!
Bill3, Discombobulated, Fuzzybear, lizardlady, Open Eyes, seesaw