View Single Post
Isurvive

Member Since Jan 2020
17 hugs
given
Default Mar 14, 2020 at 12:09 PM

I've been on disability since my early to mid 20s and at 38 I'm finally thinking of moving out of my parents house. I have no clue how to live on my own.

I have been paying them rent to have the upstairs for my own place (no bathroom, but i do have a fridge and sink, all utilities included). I also pay towards car insurance to have use of their second car and I pay for whatever gas I use in the car.

I have Bipolar 2 and fibromyalgia (and maybe PTSD? Just recently had that given as a possibility by my psych).

I don't always do well alone, I forget to do necessary things and shut down when I get stressed, but i really want to try at least to see if I could live alone in my own apartment without roommates.

But I have no clue how much of my monthly $800 to use towards rent, or if is even possible to rent anyplace on my own with that being my only income. I do get SNAP (food stamps) and have Medicare and Medicaid. I highly doubt I could handle a part time job to supliment this but if I could I don't even remember how much I'm allowed to earn with disability. Last time I worked I ended up in the hospital after months of extreme depression and ocasional hypomanic episodes where I would work non stop and felt I was losing my mind.

TW!..... [[(literally I thought I was going to snap and do some of the crazy **** that my brain was churning out!) The emergency department did an involuntary inpatient admission after they heard I had suicidal and homicidal intrusive thoughts.]]....

Anyway... I know I need to ask my therapist about getting help and guidance from a case worker or something, but i was just wondering what guidance you guys might have from personal experience.

My therapist mentioned some programs that have rooms with some supervision and then you move to an apartment type setting but still have some kind of supervision.. we didn't get into that very much, as I popped out with my grand idea for a new treatment option and ended up getting sent to emergency department for evaluation as I was clearly going towards hypomania.

TW!....[[(note to self do not offer self harm as an alternative "self treatment plan" and also mention recent suicidal & homicidal ideation, you will get a visit to the ED. I didn't end up inpatient thankfully and I actually calmed down from my hypomania by the afternoon.)]]...

Don't worry I still will mention those things to my therapist if they happen again. I know honesty is the only way I can get the help I need, even when I don't always realize I need help.

Hugs from:
unaluna