View Single Post
Ryz25

Member Since Mar 2020
Default Mar 16, 2020 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch99 View Post
The way I cope when when the crap hits the fan is I cut. "That's bad. You don't need to cut. You need to find different coping mechanisms." I hear this all the time when it is discovered I cut. The arguments are always the same and my rebuttal is the same. Yet in the end no one can answer the question of why is it bad?

"The open wounds can get infected."
I don't cut deep enough to leave open wounds. (Trust me on this one and don't judge me please. PC does not want me talking about specifics and I want to respect their rules.)

"You will leave scars" No I don't but even if I did it is on places that are covered.

"Do you feel like you have to hide it? Then that should tell you it's bad."
I feel like I have to hide my depression, suicide ideation, and multitude of other problems. Yet I am told I shouldn't be ashamed of that.

"Well you just shouldn't. You should find better coping skills." Why 75%-90% of the time this works?

Now that we have gotten those arguments out of the way can you tell me why it's so bad?
I think that whomever is telling you that it's bad is wrong to say that. Self-harming is only "bad" just like suicide is "bad": we live in a society that doesn't understand it, so it's outright condemned. And yeah, I know exactly how you feel with those piss poor excuses from the untroubled people about why it's bad. To get to my point, self-harming isn't bad, but it IS unhelpful. I know. I've done it, too. It feels good in the beginning. But it kept me stuck. I never got better. I stayed exactly where I was.

How we feel is never bad. Ever. Period. Full stop. If anyone says that something about you is bad, they are absolutely wrong. That's judgmental and it makes us feel like something is wrong with us. Suicide and self-harm don't help us get better and become better versions of ourselves. It holds us back. That's all I can really say about why I think it's hurtful.
Ryz25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote