View Single Post
StupidityTries

Member Since Mar 2020
5 hugs
given
Default Mar 17, 2020 at 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feileacan View Post
What? A psychodynamic therapist dropping a patient because of transference-countertransference? That doesn't make any sense.

Transference and countertransference are the main tools for a psychodynamic/psychoanalytic therapist and a proper therapist is rigorously trained to use these tools. It's like I would say that I am a cook but then it turns out that I actually have to cook something and then I call it quits because it's too difficult.

What was her education again?
Masters from Northwestern, at least she claims. She’s practicing with a provisional license, requiring supervision, which she did not disclose until our final session. She was granted that license only a month before we started working, which doesn’t jibe with how she’s described her practice throughout. The situation was complicated by the presence of another therapist who I saw for group sessions. My primary T said there was triangulation happening with me — almost certainly true, but that’s just more grist for the mill, it seems to me. She demanded I leave the group. I did, but she fired me anyway.

Theory: the group T discovered something fraudulent about her (or she feared this discovery) so she dropped me out of fear. Counter theory: she didn’t think she could prevent herself from crossing boundaries with me, which was especially dangerous given her license status. Second counter theory: while she felt capable of handling the situation, her supervisor, who owns the practice, freaked out and overreacted.
StupidityTries is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote