Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 17, 2020 at 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atypical_Disaster View Post
Full disclosure: I'm diagnosed with NPD.

There's also no one on earth that can anger me quite like, you guessed it, another ****ing narcissist. Maybe all of that therapy and so on did something for me after all (or I was just more aware of myself in some key ways to begin with, hell it's probably both.)

I was friends with another narcissist who sounds very much like this individual. The exact same "I'm an empath" nonsense. She really should stop embarrassing herself as she can't fake empathy even if her life depended on it. Anytime she's not being admired she's very obviously forcing herself to act like she cares about people or heaven forbid likes them at all. She's one of the most hateful people I've ever known, and I'm definitely not a ray of sunshine myself!

My father is a narcissist too, my condolences, it's a terrible way to grow up. It always surprises me to realize all over again that what I internalized as "normal" really isn't normal at all and it's just not okay either.

My former friend couldn't ever handle it if she was named as the person who had caused a problem, or the one who had hurt someone, and anything else that would make her take responsibility for her actions. I can see why, it threatened her false sense of self anytime she was told she wasn't oh so empathic, selfless, and loving but was in fact the exact opposite. Her particular shade of gaslighting was and is very insidious too because of course no one was ever looking for it. She plays puppet master all too well, she has to, she's always desperate for more narcissistic supply.

You are always going to be the problem if you see the narcissist in a light they do not want you to see them in. If their false sense of self isn't constantly being reinforced and fed then they will find a way to fix that problem and what's the problem? Whoever their narcissistic supply is, and since you're here then you've been supply.

I realize that this all sounds insane, and quite malicious. And there's a good reason for that, it's because it is. You're not crazy.

My former "friend" did the passive-aggressive BS too, especially with a particular Narcissistic Abuse 101 tactic: the silent treatment. Anytime one of her sources of supply displeased her she would simply withdraw from the supply's life for weeks just to inflict emotional and psychological pain on them as punishment. It worked so well that nobody dared to make her upset after awhile. Or they would realize she was a narcissist and they'd go no contact (one of the better options for dealing with my kind, I won't deny that).

I keep noticing that it's far more difficult to spot a narcissist than most seem to believe it is. I don't know why my kind tend to be difficult to spot for so many. (A psychopath I've known for quite some time made the same observation, about me specifically, being very hard to identify as a narcissist. I'll have to think about this more ...)

My former friend, like the narcissist you've been dealing with, is indeed an unhappy person. I would be less pleased about this fact if she had not deliberately used something painful to me as a weapon against me and then insulted my intelligence by trying to gaslight me about it.
Thanks so much for your post and story!!!

Yes, I now see it can be difficult to spot a narcissist. This person played me well, and I bought into it.

And when I confronted her on anything she did that bothered me? I did get the silent treatment once, but most times, no ownership, no apology and no remorse. Just more dribble about herself.

And she would go on lengthy diatribes either about herself or she would bestow all her wisdom on me about my own life, telling me how I am, and what I am going through. She would talk at me instead of to me, and she would talk down to me instead of to me as an equal. She never treated me like an equal.

I can't believe it took me so long to catch on. I knew something was off, but I kept going along with it anyways. At least now I know.

~4 Non Blondes

Last edited by Have Hope; Mar 17, 2020 at 05:50 AM..

Thanks for this!
Atypical_Disaster