Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 18, 2020 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacknyne View Post
. . .Part of me doesn't blame her, but the other part of me loves her so much and I'm afraid to lose her. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacknyne View Post
I want to get better for myself. I want to be the best I can be so that I can be a better father and husband. I love my wife and my family. I deserve to be better. They deserve me to be better.
This last quote seems to be coming from your "best" side, but still one focused on your image of yourself.

I don't have NPD according to the DSM. I was diagnosed with PDNOS about 10 years ago and probably qualified for OCPD earlier in my life. I tended toward the goody-good side of my "split" motivational system. Sounds like you may have something similar, but it tends toward the selfish side?

There wasn't any therapist that I could find who could help me much. I have some control over my actions sometimes but not what pops up from the motivational systems as potential actions.

I hope that your wife can appreciate and understand you somewhat. My children deserved me to be better, too. But I was and am as I am. I have tried to accept that and move forward from now, from each moment. This is especially hard when I feel I have made a mistake that hurt somebody else or hurt me. But it is what it is and the past has been what it has been.

It's very hard for me to see that the best I could do has been pretty lousy in lots of ways, lots of times.. Others here, if not so much in the "real world", will understand if you are doing the best you can -- and it certainly sounds like it from your posts.

We can strive for the best and that helps us go beyond where we were, maybe, but we are all still limited in some very painful ways, sometimes. And that's everybody, not just people with CPTSD and PD's.
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Atypical_Disaster