Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 20, 2020 at 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Hey @Have Hope- Have you ever wondered if there is more of a connection with people that claim to be empaths and narcisissism? What I mean by "claim" is there is no definitive way to classify empaths. We can read about them and self identify but you and I know of others who were "empaths" or hinted at being empaths that have actually demonstrated behavior that is not empathetic or intuitive at all but rather selfish, self absorbed in a way that is on par with narcisissts.
I just wonder if the two are connected because narcissists are grandiose and make all kinds of claims, in addition to emotional manipulation- and someone labeling themselves and empath all the while being a toxic person could easily take advantage of someone who simply believes them and doesnt really get the narcisisst part. Am I making sense? (and excuse all the mispellings of narcisisst. I am constantly swapping out or adding ss's I cant seem to get it right without asking Siri and she was busy )
@sarahsweets, you make a really good point! But I don't know enough about narcissism to be able to say accurately. This person certainly had me fooled, that's for sure. And I cannot believe it took me so long to see the narcissism! And that's mainly because I was told they're an empath! It certainly threw me off track and made me go in a completely different direction for a very long time! But when I saw that they couldn't apologize or take ownership of hurtful actions towards me repeatedly, and when they continued to go on lengthy diatribes about themselves, even AFTER I pointed it out to them, I finally clued in!!!! I did feel taken advantage of and quite fooled by this person. It was most disheartening to see how easily I was misled. But why wouldn't I believe someone who claimed to be an empath? Right? Argh. But yes, there probably is a connection I am sure. This person was also very obsessed with narcissists and the topic of narcissists. Constantly. Another clue!!

~4 Non Blondes