Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,640 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 23, 2020 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
Does he work for a very small company? Typically commission employees like car dealers have a base pay which might be like minimum wage and then commission on top of it. There must be a base pay. Cannot be just commission, it’s illegal to not provide base pay.

His work place should either provide base pay right now or explain what’s the next step. What did they tell him?

If they refuse to pay base pay now, yes he could qualify for unemployment.
I don't know if that's illegal. He gets paid vacation and sick days. But he does not receive base pay. He's all sales - as far as I know, some sales jobs are 100% commission. I've never heard of that being illegal? Maybe just in some US states, but not where we live.

He just told me the order was issued in my state to remain at home until April 4th.

He also said that his business is considered "essential business", so they will remain open and he will continue to work, but at reduced hours. So I am relieved on the one hand that he can still bring in income, but worried on the other hand because he continues to be exposed to the general public. That's very concerning.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated, TunedOut

Thanks for this!
TunedOut