View Single Post
ElectricManatee
Magnate

Member Since May 2017
4,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 27, 2020 at 01:38 PM

Anybody else feel fairly okay right now? When I read the news, I feel some combination of terrified, sad, and angry, but when I'm living my everyday life, I feel pretty normal and okay.

I discussed this with Amy today, and she said most of her clients feel the same way. She said she mostly works with people who have stable jobs and health insurance and who have experienced developmental trauma. She said those kind of people are having an easier time because they don't feel isolated in their fear (because this affects literally everybody on the planet), they aren't worried about getting their basic needs met, and they don't feel left out because nobody is going anywhere or doing anything anyway. We also talked about how the world has never felt particularly safe to me, so this lack of safety isn't as shocking as it might be otherwise. And I have developed coping skills to manage the distressing feelings people are experiencing because I experience them somewhat frequently.

I think it would be a different story if I were a medical professional or if my spouse were still a police officer. But I still feel a little weird for being mostly okay, especially when so many of my Facebook friends seem very much not okay.
ElectricManatee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ArtieTheSequal, LonesomeTonight, SlumberKitty, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Amandae8787, atisketatasket, chihirochild, LonesomeTonight, unaluna, WarmFuzzySocks