View Single Post
Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 27, 2020 at 04:09 PM

This is a good question sarahsweets. The only time that this was used for myself is from a "professional". It was used to help me understand myself better. FIRST, this is not magical, a special power, or means someone is in anyway superior and it's not something supernatural though it has been used in some science fiction stuff as though the charector did have some kind of special powers. Actually, it's the science fiction way of using it that tends to get people thinking the wrong way about it and even disguarding it as "fiction".

In all honesty, it can actually be hard on someone who has empathic personality traits. People with this trait tend to experience a lot of cognitive disonance because they genuinely don't want to cause another emotional pain. Not only that but it also tends to attract the wrong people, people who are more apt to hurt the empath than respect the empath. Also, just because a person is sensitive emotionally, doesn't mean that person is an empath. It isn't about having special powers to see Angels, or Ghosts either in fact, that is taking the science fiction portrayl of it which is incorrect. And just because an empathic person picks up on an emotional challenge in another doesn't mean they have a special power to see the danger of a naricissist either. In fact, an empath can feel sorry for the pain of a narcissist. It doesn't work like that at all. It has NOTHING to do with POWER either or even being better than others.

I have been working with a PROFESSIONAL that was helping me work on many traumatic life experiences. He observed me very closely and wanted me to do things I found very hard and even sobbed. After a while of observing me he told me that part of my challenge is that I am an empathic personality and SOME therapists also have this challenge and have had to learn HOW to practice self care so as not to get emotionally overwhelmed by it. It can actually get exhausting and individuals who have it tend to like space and desire nature around them more. (something I alway did without knowing why)

My husband noticed it a long time ago and actually, just yesterday I met a friend of his that noticed it too after talking to me for a while. I am not one who enjoys bringing others down either, and I was never like that since I was very little. I had even asked my therapist if I may have William's Syndrome because I don't get pleasure at all from causing anyone pain like I see others experience. That is when my therapist explained it to me. In sharing this I am NOT bragging or espousing any kind of superior over. It's simply not like that AT ALL. I had not even realized it's something real until it was explained to me by my professional psychologist.

Once you learn what it really means? You notice how so many people tend to dismiss it, and even make fun of it, and yet even say they are an empath when they are not. Yes, it's often a very misunderstood personality trait.

An empath isn't one to take up space with "me, me, me, me" but instead tend to be busy sitting and listening to others with problems and will often sit with that individual while they feel their emotions. An empath will look to find a quiet corner to vent out ongoing toxic situations thrown at them however. But they don't hog the spotlight with a constant"me, me, me" which is basically what a drama queen/king chooses to do. An empath will hear a quiet voice and want to give that quiet voice recognition.

One day my husband said to me, "OE you are one who not only notices a person sitting and crying but you make a beeline to them and you listen and then spend time helping them. Most people do not do that like you do". Sigh...he does get angry and says "you care too much". But that is how I always was since I was a very small child. Is this something a person is born with? I don't know tbh, all I know is I have always been one who is drawn to someone struggling even as a young child.

Last edited by Open Eyes; Mar 27, 2020 at 06:11 PM..
Open Eyes is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
WovenGalaxy

Thanks for this!
possum220, seesaw