View Single Post
Trust Issues Too

Member Since Mar 2020
Default Mar 29, 2020 at 11:29 AM

Therapy: your mileage may vary. Same with any medical specialty.

In my own life, the hardest part of getting any use out of the medical professions was getting an accurate diagnosis. Without a diagnosis, you can't find the right doctor. Without the right doctor, you can't get the right diagnosis. It's a catch-22.

I only found that my alleged psychological issues had a physical component after permanent structural damage had been done to my body. That's what it took for me to get diagnosed. I had all sorts of symptoms for years that they told me were psychosomatic. They weren't.

It's also a partial explanation for why shrinks never did me much good. But not all of it. I had really bad parents, and the profession has been saying that's an issue ever since Freud. But still, knowing that, they didn't give me much that was useful.

But here's the thing: there are people who tell me that therapy has helped them. I believe them. It obviously helps some people and not others.

It seems to me the thing to do is give everything a fair shot, and give nothing more than a fair shot. What I do is I set a time limit for everything and everyone. One year of grace, and then if the results aren't positive, I move on.
Trust Issues Too is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Open Eyes

Thanks for this!
Bill3