View Single Post
Anonymous35014

Default Apr 01, 2020 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDancer View Post
I must have a pretty classic bipolar type 1. I have experienced a number of psychotic periods, but only when in extremely severe episodes -- mostly severe manic or manic with mixed features. It has been enlightening to learn how many people on forums seem to either have schizoaffective - bipolar type, or bipolar type 1 with psychotic features. I certainly get how people with schizoaffective bipolar type would have a great deal of psychosis, but confess that I am totally perplexed by the "with psychotic features". That does NOT mean that I question its existence. I just can't quite relate to that. I guess why I say this is because when I do have psychosis, my other manic symptoms are so severe that those symptoms seem most dominant. IOWs, my behavior is extremely out of control or over the top when I am severely manic enough to get psychosis. During those times, I totally lack insight into the psychosis and the manic symptoms themselves, so would not be discussing it, during the course of experiencing it. Instead, I might rather be hospitalized, near hospitalized, having emergency appointments, and/or possibly getting into trouble in public. My communication would be quite affected with disorganized and possibly somewhat incomprehensible speech, screaming, punning, and the like. I would have a very difficult time concentrating on certain things. My physical expressions may also be disturbing/scary to others. And more.

It took me a long time to get to the point where I could ask myself "Am I getting hypomanic?" and then do something about it. However, when I am full blown manic, I am not asking that question. I am beyond that point. It is true that since I started being medicated for bipolar disorder, I can have periods when I fluctuate within days between full mania and mid to higher level hypomania. During the latter periods, I've gained some insight. However, when I get that insight (during hypomania), I am not psychotic. I do not get psychotic during hypomanic states.
I see your point about schizoaffective vs "w/ psychotic features." I don't really understand it myself. I think the "w/ psychotic features" is just a classifier that says you have bipolar and psychosis, but that you don't have enough schizophrenic symptoms to meet the criteria for a schizoaffective Dx.

I think bipolar exists on a spectrum... so I think the "w/ psychotic features" classifier kinda like saying "bipolar NOS," where a dr gives you that diagnosis because you're kinda in between bipolar 1 and bipolar 2, but they cannot decide what you really are. so I think that's kinda what the "w/ psychotic features" is at.

I think of the bipolar spectrum being "connected" to a schizophrenia spectrum. basically, the spectrum starts off with cyclothymia, followed by bipolar 2, bipolar NOS, bipolar 1, bipolar 1 w/psychotic features, schizoaffective, then schizophrenia. I hope that makes sense? it's a bit difficult to describe what I'm envisioning in my mind right now.

So like:
[cyclothymia]--[bipolar2]--[bipolarNOS]--[bipolar1]--[bipolar1 w/pf]--[SzA]--[Sz]

Anyway, thank you for sharing your experiences
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, bpcyclist, Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist