Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
199 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 03, 2020 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
I did a lot of temp work when I was young. I found it very interesting in that I was like a fly on the wall and was able to observe the different environments and varying behaviors between the people that worked these different places regularly. It was like being a working student actually. Good experience to have when seeing how things are in different work environments. I also remember noticing how the boss often could not write or spell and it amazed me how they managed to attain their position despite that lack of ability.

Years later I would learn about certain challenges when it came to that lack and yet how it was never a true marker for intellectual ability. I grew up during a time when so little was known about these challenges. And unfortunately, individuals with these challenges were encouraged to feel they were stupid and could not achieve like others.

My brother had this math teacher that was a very tall man and could be intimidating to a child. He was so horrible to my older brother, called him an idiot in front of the entire class and told him he was wasting his time at school. Well, my older brother had adhd and dyslexia and he was actually far from being stupid but back then they did not understand that in children so they punished them instead and called them lazy and losers etc.

Ironically, my older brother, despite his challenge with learning ended up staying the course, and even put himself through college despite having to work extra hard at it which is often the case for these kinds of challenges. He ended up graduating with honors and became very successful in the business world making more than 4 times what this math teacher earned.

Sometimes we face challenges with our work collegues and often they are protecting themselves in ways we don't even realize. It doesn't mean they are evil, or narcissists, but just need to be recognized for their part in the bigger picture. It's possible that you may run into individuals that simply don't want to be blamed for something they did not do. So it may not be so much about you, but how that person may worry about not being respected for what they do contribute. Unfortunately, people can be labelled stupid when in fact they actually do have abilities and intelligence that deserve respect.

My older brother stayed back two years in grammar school, He did have a hard time, more due to his being misunderstood. Many witnessed how badly he was treated over the years. And when he did graduate high school EVERYONE of his piers stood up and gave him a standing ovation.

All these years later while recalling our past while facing the last years of our parent's lives, he said to me "I did not feel I had many friends in High School", yet I know what I saw that day when they called his name and he walked up to get his diploma. It was quite an experience to see that standing ovation he got and it WAS genuine.
Yeah I agree and that's a great story. I'm glad you shared. Teachers, and even other people, can be very harsh on kids especially if they have some sort of hidden disability like ADHD or anything else. People assume they are lazy, which in a way, they can be but not all the time. My friend has ADHD and she is super lazy, probably the laziest person I know and she admits it. Unfortunately, there is something about the disorder that causes those with it to not be as motivated. But I'm glad your brother got through it.
rdgrad15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote