View Single Post
Val12

Member Since Jan 2020
10 hugs
given
Default Apr 03, 2020 at 09:06 PM

I am in therapy to get help for depression, anxiety, PTSD and OCD. Somehow, my T always starts talking about what I don't need to talk about. For example, I blatantly say I don't want to talk about my education and yet they somehow end up giving me advice about it or talking about what kinds of fun activities I should do this weekend to relax. I don't know how to cut the conversation off and tell them this is a waste of my time because I could get advice on this online or from someone else who I'm not paying, but what I need help with from a T is on my disorders. I end up sitting there hoping they will stop talking about this so I can bring up what is important for me.

But even when I say I'd like to discuss my issues, like how I panic in social interactions, T talks about the wrong thing. Like I brought up my obsession with making friends using social media apps and how I waste so much time on those apps, don't get anything else done in my life and my depression and anxiety have skyrocketed. T starts talking about how people post edited versions of their lives on social media. I say I know this and my problem is not that but that I feel rejected all time when people ignore me and want to work on that. T says okay and shifts the conversation back to what people post online. I leave with not a single strategy on how to tackle feelings of rejection.

Long story short, how do I nicely and politely stop my T when a conversation is not about what I need to talk about and when I want to talk about something else?
Val12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, LonesomeTonight, SlumberKitty, unaluna