Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,263 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 06, 2020 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLady View Post
Can you clarify what this means? How do you achieve superiority by limiting yourself to cold and hunger...?

I agree with the advice given. People with NPD tend to think they're perfect. They don't question themselves at all and any negative feedback angers them quite intensely. They have a deep rooted insecurity and blame others for their own behaviours. They will lie, deny, and use others for personal gains. Anything positive is to seek attention and for image building. Their children are worthy to them only if they make them "look good" (good grades, talents, etc) or if they generate attention of some other kind (chronic illness, injuries, etc) to gain their own sympathies. They will suck you emotionally and have zero empathy towards others.

This is my understanding of NPD, as well, anyway.

Sometimes there's an overlap between NDP and high functioning Autism/Asperger's. Not labeling you, as I'm just an online person, but it might be something worthwhile to look into.
That's a pretty good understanding of it, in a nutshell.

Elimatis,

NPD can occur on a spectrum just like any other disorder. So it may be that you are have a milder case of NPD and, therefore, are able to have some insight into your behaviors. I think working with a therapist could help you change disordered thinking that you have and get to feeling more fulfilled and happy without the constant need for attention or needing to feel superior. But it will take a lot of work from you and your therapist. Personality disorders are hard to treat because the thinking and behaviors are so ingrained into your overall existence, but it can be done. There is hope.

Regardless of the diagnosis, it sounds like you know what you want to change in your life, and rather than the diagnosis, I'd focus on that in appointments with your therapist.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
MsLady