Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2015
1,043 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 11, 2020 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post

That's the thing! All the mindfulness in the world will not ease severe, organic anxiety. Well, maybe. In certain circumstances...maybe. a monk, living away from the world, practicing many times every day. Even then...

It's such a let down to me when any medical practitioner says "practice mindfulness." No, give me the proper meds, THEN I'll practice mindfulness.

Okay...how about this as an example? I have practiced meditation for over 20 years, and I am a certified mindfulness meditation instructor...and I have always had anxiety! I think I am better at minding my anxiety. But not all the time. And you are right about the monks. I have gone on several two week meditation retreats at Buddhist Centers and Zen Centers. By the second week...all anxiety is gone. Well, sure. Someone is cooking all your meals...cleaning up your living and sleeping space. All you have to do is eat, sleep, meditate, take a shower, and do little activities like flower arranging, and taking walks. When you come back to the world it lasts for a couple of days...then back to modern life and anxiety.

As a meditation teacher I would say you would be a perfect student. You know yourself. I really like how you said, "Give me the proper meds, then I'll meditate." This is actually the new way of teaching meditation. If a student needs therapy and meditation, or medication and meditation...that is all fine. My teacher used to say, "Do what makes you happy." Of course he meant within reason...but that we don't have to be so rigid because that creates more anxiety!

Doctors and therapists should not be "prescribing meditation." That's just plain wrong.

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, bpcyclist