Community Liaison

Member Since Jun 2016
70.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Apr 18, 2020 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post
Racing thoughts, thoughts piling up on each other, especially while I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep. For the most part, the thoughts are meaningless images. Not anxiety producing, just really annoying. Spoke with my pdoc and she reluctantly agreed to raise my dose to 10mg. to find out if I can quiet my mind.

Started the 10mg yesterday. (Anxiety remains low!)
I think it's great you are willing to contact your pdoc and you get a helpful response from her! My pdoc has always been readily available and responds quickly. We are both very fortunate this is a part of our experiences.

It must feel good to get some relief.

I'd designed a way to quiet my mind. This might or might not be helpful to you. I'd wanted to take some time to share.

I grew up in a highly anxious environment. Once I'd left that environment, I'd found I was too "keyed up" for my new environment(s). I'd then realized just how much anxiety was eating up time, energy and interfering with peace of mind. I did seek treatment.

Over time I had further decreased my anxieties by identifying what was driving my anxiety. I was often "worrying." which was also habitual.

I don't know if you "worry" or not. Just wanted to share how I'd minimized any worry./decreased anxiety. I'd found worry fed anxiety which increased worry, which fed anxiety, etc.

I'd worked at managing my worry by assigning a time(s) when I'd allow myself to think about, even obsess about, certain topics. I might have assigned a time,like maybe 10am to 11 am. and maybe 6pm to 7 pm.

When I'd found myself habitually "worrying"(which fed anxiety and vice versa), I'd stop myself and remind myself a time was assigned to this type of thinking.
It took quite awhile to catch myself, to stop myself and train myself to limit any of that type of thinking to the scheduled times..

I did honor the times I had set aside to experience, express worry/anxieties during those scheduled times. Over time, with consistent practice, I'd significantly decreased the amount of anxiety. My days were no longer filled with anxieties.

Over more time, I'd decreased the length of the assigned times. I'd eventually influenced my own behaviors/habits so I very rarely worried and I was able to discontinue any/all anxiety meds.

It's been many years since and I continue to enjoy the drastic change in my life. I continue to enjoy the freedom. I am very blessed this type of "behavioral" based approach was so helpful to me.

I don't mean to minimize your experiences with high anxiety. It can be so overwhelming, even incapacitating. It can be, or can seem to be, free floating in nature. Sometimes we can find some added relief if/when we look into the sources of our anxieties.

As you know all too well, anxieties around things like trying to survive on disability pay can be so anxiety producing in an ongoing manner. The challenges are very real. I'd found stress/anxiety around these types of challenges incredibly difficult to minimize. Until people have been there, they just cannot understand the ongoing difficulties involved in meeting only the very basic needs.

Just wanted to share. Take anything helpful and leave the rest

Much Love to You!

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Fuzzybear